Wednesday 19 June 2013

Non-fiction must reads

Not sure if I've really communicated on here how much of a fan of reading I am. But I most definitely am. Reading is, in my opinion, one of the best and most worthwhile pursuits on earth. Though I do admit I haven't done much of it (for leisure anyway) in the last few years whilst I've been at uni, I'm getting back into it again now and have re-discovered why I love it so much. I grew up with a love for reading and books, to which my lovely mother can attest. I was a complete and utter bookworm. I would read over 100 books a year, easy. I want to be like that again. Because, while I did entertain the notion that being a bookworm was 'geeky' and 'uncool' for a while there, I now think that people who read are far more attractive than people who don't. To be able to have a decent conversation with someone about books is a rare gem these days, and when it happens, it's like an instant attraction.

Anyway....I tend to read fiction, just because that's what I've always enjoyed. But I want to get into reading more non-fiction. Not only is it informative (therefore making you smarter), but it can be super interesting!!  Here are my favourite non-fiction books to date:

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
An absolutely brilliant read that details the 1959 homicide of a family in Kansas. Capote actually befriended the killers and we get an interesting insight into their minds and how they cope in prison awaiting death. This book is excellent, highly recommended.

The Innocent Man - John Gisham
Another tragic but brilliant book. I read this when I was 14 and it has stuck with me ever since. It's a poignant tale of gross injustice, written by an excellent author. Grisham doesn't usually write non-fiction, but he proves in this book that his talent for writing is not limited to fiction. Read it.

The Sweet Poison Quit Plan - David Gillespie
I read this book recently because I saw it at my sister's flat one day and was intrigued. I never read self-help/diet books so this was different for me. I found it really interesting though, and it shocked me a bit (in a good way). It's pretty much about how bad sugar is for you, and why we need to cut it out of our diets. Oh and the author lost 40kg just from cutting out sugar. Wow. A book I needed to read.

Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
I've always been interested in cheffing (ask anyone who grew up with me) so this book appealed. I also enjoy watching Anthony Bourdain's shows on TV so it doubly appealed. It's written exactly the way that Bourdain speaks, and gives a raw insight into the hard life of a chef. It's a fascinating read about the underbelly of the kitchen industry, and all of it's horrors.

Open - Andre Agassi
Also am a fan of tennis, and this guy. This book was well written and made me feel quite sorry for Andre. His father was a pushy parent who pressured him into going far with Tennis. Yet while I felt sympathy for Andre, I also got slightly annoyed at his selfishness. I find it interesting to read about well-known people and get to know a bit of what they're really like. Enjoyed this read.


Can you recommend any other great non-fiction reads?
On a side note, just received my copy of The Great Gatsby from The Book Depository! Yuss! When I finish the book I'm currently reading, that's me.
xx

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard of the "Torchlight List" - James Flynn? My lecturer put together this list of 200 books that people should read to expand their knowledge about the world, great literary works etc. He reckons reading can give you a better education than a university degree! And vocab is highly correlated to an increased IQ - because it requires understanding of abstract concepts (I think).

    PS I am one step closer to being home! Hopefully I'll see you some time over the next two weeks! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...